April 11, 2010

Sneakery

This week, I was off of school and yet managed to remain busy. No planning periods meant no blog posts, and for that I apologize, but I did talk to one of you readers for the first time in quite a while (way too long by the way) just the other night, so perhaps that made up for it a bit.

Tonight's activities are worth posting about, though. We have finally secured cones for cone golf. This was a necessary task for quite some time and the cones sort of fell to our grasp tonight. After finding them, I was sitting sitting on a playground after dark, which may or may not be completely legal, because some communities, Valpo included, allow you there until after 10, but others close at dark. No signs are posted, so if questioned, I would just apologize, say I didn't know and leave. A police officer pulled into a parking lot adjacent to the playground to use radar on cars passing on the busy road nearby, and failed to notice us. We managed to just stand up and casually walk away. As I describe the night's events, they are not as exciting as they felt in progress.

As you can see in this poorly put together post, I'm strongly considering returning to my stream of consciousness blogging...it is easier, didn't receive complaints, got more feedback, and can probably be posted more regularly as there isn't a need for content.

Friday night, I rode with the family up to Ann Arbor to see my niece perform with Concordia University's Wind Ensemble. The concert was fun to see, being crammed in a mini-van back seat with two other nearly full-grown people was perhaps not worth it, but it was fun. I also bumped into an old friend who happened to be playing trumpet with them because she knows the director. She and I played in CCB and Jazz Band together as well as talking in the VUCA fairly often over my years at Valpo. This made me wish I saw her more often, or kept in better touch at least as she was a lot of fun.

I also got out disc golfing, put some hours in at work, grilled for the first time this season, ate at TGIF's, and played pinochle with some members of our congregation this week. I think that is all that happened that is note-worthy for a blog post...time for bed before the routine sets in again.

6 comments:

Brett said...

Hmm, what is this cone golf you speak of?
I have a mental image but let's see how close my image is to the actual game...

Dave said...

Haha, I'm fairly certain it is not a legit game, and all you really do is take a big cone and throw littler (is that even a word?) cones at it...designing your own course as you go. It results in hilarity, as cones are not easy to throw, and grace is generally lacking in whatever motion you choose.

Brett said...

I bet it looks ridiculous.

It's probably ridiculous on the same level as Hillbilly (or Ladder) Golf.

I think you know the game. if not, Google it.
We in StL call it Hoosier golf, as all St. Louisans like to make fun of people who live in Indiana.

...though somehow Hoosier golf has become a legitimate lawn game. Explain that to me.

Dave said...

Yeah, I've played it, and you look incredibly ridiculous playing hillbilly golf.

MegHan said...

That reader was me! Wooooot.

@_ZØN3 said...

The cone-theft story could have been made a bit more exciting had you added the following:

-You had to protect the cones until your getaway driver arrived, at which point you stashed them.

-The cop blocked the getaway driver's only means of exiting the lot.

-Another car (presumably the one seen practicing driving with the cones) entered and left the lot slightly before the cop.

-You had to leave the car where it sat - in a very conspicuous spot - while you walked around the entirety of your neighborhood in order to enter the cop's line of sight from the front rather than walking out the playground.