April 18, 2010

Western Night

Our congregation had a western themed night last night to raise money for the youth going to the National Gathering in New Orleans in a few months. I believe nearly 400 dollars was raised from the 7 dollar admission and some donations. The people who planned the event did a really good job. We had silly games w/prizes, good decorations, sloppy joes/hot dogs with chips etc and sweet tea, and a DJ/line dancing instructor named...drumroll...Bubba! Those few times I denied Kristin the enjoyment of watching me attempt line dancing for the first time, and then I tried it last night and enjoyed it...who knew country music was dance-able. Electric slide at Emily's wedding reception this July, here I come! Since one of my readers in particular will laugh at me for enjoying some line dancing last night, I'd like to take this moment to defend myself by saying: First, I was only out on the floor for about a 5th of the time. Second, I only attempted to learn one dance. And Lastly, I have good rhythm and both a right foot and a left, not two lefts, so it was worth a shot.

I also got in a game of Twister and competed with a thin and presumably flexible high school girl until bowing out (no fall, no touch) so that she could use the restroom after complaining about it for literally about 5 minutes of our never-ending game. Then, I knocked off two more rooms in the Cosmic Wimpout Challenge (attempting to play it in every room of our large Parish Hall).

This morning, I've already played hand bells at the end of early service, don't fit into any of the Bible Studies and am therefore blogging now, and will have to return in about half an hour to play hand bells for the second service and then attend since I didn't get up for all of early. Later today, I hope that the temperature and general meteorogical conditions will permit a game of Disc Golf and a BBQ dinner.

That is all (I'm impressed I managed to blog on a weekend)...

2 comments:

. said...

somehow a part of me isn't sad that i missed out on the line dancing adventure.
however, i am glad that i got to contribute to the knocking off of a room. :]

Dave said...

I'm glad that you were able to participate too. However, you should be sad you missed out on line dancing.