February 27, 2008

Chicago

So...went to the Lyric Opera today to see Eugene Onegin by Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky. It was a fantastic way to spend a day in Chicago and take in a marvelous 3 hours of Romantic Era Chromaticism. I recieved the offer to go at 11:15 and boarded a charter bus leaving for Chi-Town at 11:30, nothing like last minute decision making and a free 3 hours of entertainment. How weird is a plot which ends with the two lovers not being together and not being dead in a Shakesperian fashion either? The woodwinds and horn were absolutely phenominal as well as the bass and lead woman.

I noted while watching the super-titles that opera moves extremely slowly, as I already knew from years ago, but that I am also capable of understanding the underlying thematic musical development as it applies to the libretto. 5 minutes were taken to ponder how two men who were once best friends could be dueling to the death in a somber and moving duet. However, equally "silly" was the aria during which day turned to night and back to day in the span of about 7 minutes. It is great to listen to something and realize that 5 years of education has not been for nothing, but rather that I have learned much, maybe I am actually becoming prepared to enter the professional career path I have chosen.

Other important news from that trip includes:

Starbucks tastes better in Chicago.
Coach buses are capable of making U-turns on an interstate when bus drivers miss exits while on their cell phones.
Valparaiso students are content with lunch at McDonalds while in Chicago for 50 minutes prior to taking in something as high brow as an opera (a fact which I greeted with much disdain on my walk to Starbucks).
Appropriate dress to the Lyric includes, but is not limited to, jeans and a t-shirt, Suit and Tie, a tuxedo, jeans with sportcoat and turtleneck, and even a rather fancy gown and waaaayyyy too much perfume.

That is all.

DSSotD:

When confronted with the need to pull a U-ey on the interstate, ponder a comparison between Starbucks and McDonalds to a somber tune for at least 5 minutes, but dress however you wish.

No comments: