I feel a bit conflicted because I've never watched soccer due to it being "boring," however, I am now interested and would like to start paying more attention. One of my biggest faults is quitting on something if I can't get quick gratification. It doesn't have to be significant gratification, but I need to know that progress is being made from the outset. This is why practicing the bass is not going as well as it should be. Until today, I was having similar trouble with soccer. I don't understand strategies, movement, coaching decisions, what is and isn't a foul (I get the general gist on all of these, yet not to the extent of sports I've been watching much longer such as football, basketball, baseball, or even hockey.) Today, however, I watched some of the highlights of the USA-Algeria game and was legitimately entertained. I need to get into watching this year's World Cup, while soccer is actually being broadcast, and begin to understand it.
On another note, work is much easier to tolerate when the store manager is there and in charge, rather than any of her subordinates. Tonight ran smoothly, people knew what there job was, and did it. No arguing, no short staffing the Kitchen crew, no disappearing crew members, clearly defined times for different close-related chores.
2 comments:
I wouldn't call the US scoring in extra time "quick gratification". I was tracking the game on ESPN Gametracker, and I stopped following it about the 85th minute when I assumed nothing would happen for the last few minutes.
If soccer was 90 minutes of one highlight after another -- like, if the final score could be 15-14 or something like that -- that'd be one thing. But a 1-0 game or, worse, a 0-0 suckfest of a tie game (like the England/Algeria game) is an absolute let-down.
Everyone's a soccer buff right now. No shame: I'm not. I like Arsenal, and its fun to watch that guy on Ivory Coast that plays for Chelsea. But I don't really know much else!
I played a video game with my nephew after he bought it and we got hooked. So, I'm starting to understand the game a bit better and therefore am trying to see if I can enjoy watching it on TV when the opportunity presents itself.
Post a Comment