June 25, 2010

Lazy Day

Yesterday turned into a much needed, lazy day for me. I woke up after 10, did a little bit of job searching and then played video games, cleaned out a room in our parish hall up at church, which really irritated me for reasons that I'd rather not blog about, got a little chasing a soccer ball in, and eventually made a steak and shake run with a friend as well as taking a night walk. As one might surmise from the above sentence, much of my day was spent with my 14yr old nephew. I suppose I also watched a bit of the game that eliminated Italy from the World Cup while job searching, but that amounted to much more job searching than TV watching, normally the inverse would occur, but I was focused.

Walking around my neighborhood late last night was very relaxing except for some strange noises in the woods at two different locations. This led me to wonder: do the noises that creep us out after dark occur during the day and there is just so much other noise that we don't focus on them? Or...perhaps we assume more malicious intent after dark and therefore, our minds process the noises we normally subconsciously ignore? Maybe the noises from after dark simply don't occur during the day? At any rate, cracking sticks and rustling through undergrowth in woods near a playground is always cause for concern when the sun is not present.

Making a late night Steak and Shake run reminded me of a few walks to Steak and Shake and Walmart from good old VU my freshman year. Ahhh, the memories of not knowing what to do in Valpo and being car-less. The menu and service are no more impressive than they ever were. Case in point, I did not receive a napkin or silverware after waiting a considerable length of time to be waited on. I'll stick to bars for that type of bad service when my counterparts are above 21. At least there will be a drink to keep me occupied.

Useless Stat of the day? I think so.
You are more likely to die in the bathtub (odds are 1 in a million) than you are to die in a tornado (1 in 2 million). Perhaps your smelly acquaintances are on to something?

2 comments:

MegHan said...

So according to your statistic I shouldn't have taken cover in the bathtub during the tornado warning on Wednesday, huh? Next time I will remain at the window to watch the intense wind and lightning. It's far more entertaining than staring at the toilet.

Dave said...

I'd rather not be the one held responsible if the statistics don't work out in your favor, though. Haha, so stick to the bathtub!