May 6, 2010

Disc Golf

I got out to the Euclid Sims Park Disc Golf Course today to play a round of 18 and shot very well for me, especially for only my 2nd or 3rd time out this season. I threw a drive that was by far the best one I've ever thrown, distance and accuracy wise, on the 17th hole. I also made two putts of 20ish feet and had only one hole leave me completely disgusted with my performance. You can't ask for much more out of an outing by an amateur disc golfer. I sort of figure that course as perhaps straight 4s being something to strive for...even though straight 3s is supposedly par and I shot a 69 which broke the straight 4s by 3. I'm quite happy with that, and look to continue to improve on less windy days than today.

On another note, how much would it suck to be in jail for 29 years for a crime you did not commit? An Ohio man was let out yesterday after DNA testing proved that he was not the rapist that an Ohio judge and jury had written him off as in 1981. I'm not sure why this headline struck my fancy yesterday, but I just can't even imagine how you would have any faith that life was worth living after being sentenced to life in prison for a crime you didn't commit and had no knowledge of prior to your trial. Two kids identified him in a line up and a few key witnesses said they'd seen him in the metro park he had allegedly raped the 11 year old girl and forcibly restrained the 12 year old boy in. He, throughout the trial and the years served in jail, maintained he had been in his home at that time. Apparently, he had been mistaken for someone else. 29 years...wow.

Lastly, I'm looking for an ensemble to play in this summer. I think I'm going to join a community band with my niece who also wants to continue playing this summer. It should be fun, and maybe I'll even get to know someone who needs to hire a music teacher? At least, I could meet another music educator who would know of some positions/could put in a good word.

Now, off to bed as I intended to be twenty minutes ago...

2 comments:

Brett said...

I haven't been out for disc golf action yet this year. I need to.

And for the record, the all-par-3 thing with disc golf? I've seen one course, 45 minutes out of the city where the holes were short enough to justify all-par-3. But that's definitely not the norm.

At Jefferson Barracks, my home course, is long and has trees everywhere. I use a personal par of 72. Helps me feel better about myself.

MegHan said...

I need an activity day!