March 30, 2010

Heart Surgery

How can a 90 year old man recover from a Triple Bypass surgery at all, let alone in the week that Ernie, the bassist from the community orchestra I've joined, managed to recover in? That is simply amazing. I think it is a testament, both to his personal health and to medicine these days. Not sure how much longer that type of medical attention will be available, but that's neither here nor there and I don't pretend to fully understand the massive overhauls in policies occurring.

We passed around a get well card for Ernie in our rehearsal last night...which can I just say, isn't it totally awkward to have to sign/write a note on a card for someone you don't know? I've been subjected to this numerous times throughout my life for Birthdays, Surgeries, Thank-Yous, and it always sucks. Get well soon...signed, the guy you don't know. I've only been in the ensemble for a month or two, I don't sit by the bassists, he's been out for several weeks in preparation and recovery from the surgery...oh yeah, and there's a 70 year age gap too.

I recognize that it is only a community orchestra, and that it probably falls last on the list of importance in most peoples' agendas because of this, however, don't you think that if you aren't going to show up for 4 rehearsals in a row, you might at least let the director know that you don't intend to play in the ensemble anymore? This is the situation that the trumpet section finds itself in as the 2nd trumpet for our last gig hasn't shown up since said gig and apparently hasn't contacted anyone to let them know if he still intends to play. This isn't all bad, because it has earned me the opportunity to sit 2nd regardless of whether he comes back or not and this ensures me a part on many more pieces, however, it is still just difficult to not know who will be playing the other trumpet part with us on the concert with that only being a few short weeks away.

A foggy commute this morning, and several long class-periods later...today is actually going fairly well...hopefully it will continue that way.

No comments: