February 12, 2009

you know what really grinds my gears...

WEATHER!!!

How can the weather be so great for a few days, then positively suck for one and then be cold again? That's totally not fair...I had barely adjusted to the cold and now my body has to do it again. I really enjoyed those few nice temperature days, but I'm not entirely sure that they were worth now hating the cold even more than before.

THE CHAPEL!!!

The president of the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod (my synod) came and preached the sermon two weeks ago at the Chapel of the Resurrection. I thought it was a decent sermon, I've heard better, but I've definitely heard worse (mostly from theology profs here). The LCMS and the Evangelical Lutheran Church of America (ELCA) don't see eye to eye at all and therefore the newly called and hired ELCA woman pastor should not be allowed to participate very much in the worship service (a fact which both the synod representatives should have known) when the president was here. This did not stop them from scheduling her to read the prayers and then having to remove her so that the president wouldn't be kicked out of his office. This of course pissed off our overwhelmingly ELCA acolyting crew and many more of the Theo majors here (also overwhelmingly ELCA for obvious reasons). Now we've had to listen to them complain about how intolerant the LCMS is for the past few weeks and how horrible it was that the pastor (who shouldn't have even been scheduled to participate in the service) couldn't read the prayers.

I could continue for quite some time with my frustrations with the doctrine and practices of the chapel and its staff here, but it's really not worth it.

No comments: