February 16, 2009

Breaking the drought.

I've noticed a drought in blogging over the past few days among my friends and colleagues and I've decided to break it up. It was a very fun, yet short, weekend. Mall Cop was hilarious late at night after a few on Friday night. After that the long week caught up with me and I passed out until late morning Saturday. After getting up, Kristin and I headed out to Merriville/Hobart/who the heck knows? and had some Olive Garden for the cute Valentine's Day dinner. Seafood Alfredo, breadsticks, and salad are always a solid choice. Browsing the stores in the mall made for a fun afternoon before returning to VU for rehearsal and my debut on french horn with the VUSO. The concert went well and a nice romantic movie to conclude Valentine's day was a good choice. Sunday meant Dynasty and the most terribly officiated second half of basketball I've seen in person since the Mid-Continent Conference. Last time I checked, continuation was not allowed in NCAA basketball, but it definitely occurred on two plays in the Valpo-UIC game. Great game to follow up the 600th win of Homer Drew's career. Rush Hour, one of my all-time favorite flicks concluded my weekend.

The men's team played quite well, in my opinion, on Sunday afternoon, but one still has to wonder if the 600th win of Homer's career should perhaps cue him to retirement. I can't help but feel that with the talent that he manages to recruit, we should win more games in an average year, and at least make the NIT once in a while. Granted, we aren't a big school and don't have a ton of name recognition, but certainly these players have more room to grow than is reflected in their actual growth. This year is perhaps an exception, because we have virtually no leadership, save for the amazing, Jake Diebler. 73 consecutive starts, most by a Valpo Men's Basketball player in school history!

1 comment:

Brett said...

Drought in blogging? What do you mean? I've blogged lots of times in the past week!

(okay, only once in the last week. And that was last night.)

Also, don't think Valpo doesn't have name recognition. Telling people around St L where I went to college, I've got about a 75% success rate! So we're known...by Lutherans and college basketball know-it-alls. So, yeah. 75%.